Dyan J. Ebert
A CLOSER LOOK
- BIRTHPLACE: Dell Rapids, South Dakota
- FAMILY: Husband, Daughter and one dog. I have two brothers and a sister and came from two educators. My dad is a retired math teacher and basketball coach. My mom was a paraprofessional working with children with disabilities.
- WHAT I ENJOY ABOUT LAW: Being able to help people and make a difference
- FAVORITE PLACE VISITED: St John, US Virgin Islands
- FAVORITE ACTIVITY: It may seem I do nothing but work, but I really enjoy spending time with my family and friends.
- BEST ADVICE RECEIVED: Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
Ms. Ebert joined the firm in 1994, becoming a Shareholder in 1998. Ms. Ebert was elected CEO for the 2017, 2018, and 2019 calendar years. She was the first woman to serve as the firm's Chief Executive Officer and was on the firm's Board of Directors between 2003 to 2010, and again beginning in 2014 to the present. Ms. Ebert has been active and held leadership roles in a variety of national, state, and local professional organizations. Currently, Dyan serves as President-Elect of the Minnesota State Bar Association and will become President in 2020. Additionally, Dyan is the Secretary of the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, a position she has held since 2017. Ms. Ebert has also held leadership positions with the Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, Minnesota Women Lawyers, the Seventh District Bar Association, and is a member of the Minnesota Women Lawyers' Advisory Board. She is an AV Rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, a Minnesota Super Lawyer, and was named to the list of Top 50 Women Attorneys in Minnesota in 2014.
Ms. Ebert practices in the area of civil litigation, with a focus on employment and government liability, insurance coverage, and general casualty law. Ms. Ebert represents government entities, corporations, and individuals at all stages of the litigation process, including before appellate courts. She counsels employers on policies and procedures, conducts employment-related investigations, and represents employers in conjunction with charges of discrimination filed with state and federal investigatory agencies. Ms. Ebert is a frequent lecturer to colleagues, as well as employees, supervisors, and human resource professionals, on employment-related matters including hiring, firing and discipline, workplace behavior, employee evaluations, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and anti-discrimination legislation. Ms. Ebert also represents individuals and businesses in matters involving personal injuries, premises liability, wrongful death, and insurance coverage.
Ms. Ebert is on the American Arbitration Association's no-fault arbitration panel. On November 24, 2010, the Minnesota Supreme Court appointed Ms. Ebert to serve on the Civil Justice Reform Task Force. The Task Force reviewed the Civil Justice Forum Report and civil justice reform initiatives undertaken in other jurisdictions and recommended to the Supreme Court changes to facilitate more cost effective and efficient civil case proceedings.
Since 1994, Ms. Ebert has served as coordinator of the Apollo High School Mock Trial Invitational Tournament.
- William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, Minnesota
- J.D. - 1993
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Augustana College, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- B.A. - 1990
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Phi Alpha Theta
- Minnesota, 1993
- South Dakota, 1994
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2003
- AV Rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Minnesota Super Lawyers 2005, 2012-2019
- Top 50 Women Attorneys in Minnesota in 2014
- Minnesota State Bar Association, President-Elect, 2019 - Present, 2009 to Present
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Outstate Representative to the MSBA’s 15 member Council, 2013 - 2016
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Chair of the Association’s Governance Committee, 2015 - 2016
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Minnesota Women Lawyers Association's representative to the Council, 2006 - 2012, 2007 to 2008
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Co-Chair of the Association's Women and the Legal Profession Committee, 2004 - 2005, 2006 to 2016
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Chair of the Associations Elections and Appointments Committee, 2011 - 2013, 2011 to 2012
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member of Assembly, Operations Committee, Elections and Appointments Committee, Judicial Elections Committee and Mock Trial Advisory Committee (various start dates to Present), 2012 to 2013
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 2017 - Present, 2013 to 2014
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, State Chair, 2009 - Present, 2014 to 2015
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, Secretary , 2017 – Present, 2015 to 2016
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, Executive Council, Class of 2016 , 2013 to 2016
- John E. Simonett American Inn of Court, President, 2007 - 2008, 2015 to 2016
- Minnesota Women Lawyers Association, Advisory Board, 2013 - Present, 2006 to 2012
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, Board of Directors, 2006 - 2016, 2004 to 2005
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, Secretary, 2011 - 2012, 2011 to 2013
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, Treasurer, 2012 - 2013
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, Vice President, 2013 - 2014
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, President, 2014 - 2015
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, President Emeritus, 2015 - 2016
- Minnesota Women Lawyers Association, Organizer, Central Minnesota Chapter, 2004 to 2010
- Minnesota Women Lawyers Association, President, Central Minnesota Chapter, 1999, 2013 to Present
- Minnesota Women Lawyers Association, Chapter Liaison to Board of Directors, 2004 - 2010, 2012 to 2019
- Minnesota CLE, Board of Directors, 2012 - 2019, 2002 to 2018
- Seventh Judicial District Bar Association, Secretary/Treasurer, 2002 – 2018
- South Dakota Bar Association, 1998 to 1999
- Stearns/Benton County Bar Association, Program Committee Chair, 1996-97; 1997-98, 1999 to 2000
- Stearns/Benton County Bar Association, Secretary/Treasurer, 1998 - 1999, 2000 to 2001
- Stearns/Benton County Bar Association, Vice President, 1999 - 2000, 1998 to 1999
- Stearns/Benton County Bar Association, President, 2000 - 2001, 1994 to Present
- Stearns/Benton County Bar Association, Editor, Association Newsletter, 1998 - 1999, 2017 to Present